Thursday, November 5, 2015

Husband liked dinner

Easy to make, he had seconds.

1 c red cargo rice

I didn't know that rice had fat in it, but I am finding that some fat helps a lot with higher-fiber foods.  One serving is a 1/4 c (dry, uncooked,) so I had a total of 4 servings times 2 g fiber = 8 g fiber total for the rice for the meal, and 4 x 1.5 g fat = 6 g fat for the rice for the meal.

To one pound hamburger, browned, 1/2 chopped onions, and 1/2 fresh jalepeno, chopped, I added one can of something new, curry gravy, a tomato-based Vietnamese canned sauce (think enchilada sauce but Vietnamese.)  

Sauce 8 g fat/0 fiber.  Hamburger has 200 cal/11 g fat and 0 fiber per 4 oz, so 800 cal/44 g fat/0 fiber for one pound.  Fat could be less, I don't know.  A half cup of onion has 32 cal/0 g fat/1.5 g fiber.  A half a jalepeno has 2 cal/0 fat/.2 g fiber.  (Info from phone app:  MyFitnessPal.)

So totals for meal, which fed three persons:  fiber 9.75 (round up to 10,) fat 58.  Well....

Per person, fiber 3.5 g and fat 19.5.  So the good was the rice and maybe by preparing the hamburger differently, less fat.  Hamburger can be cooked then water added, brought again to a boil and drain the water to get rid of more of the fat.  Little less flavor, but in this meal, the sauce is the flavor.  My goal would be to double the onion, use 90% hamburger.

Actually, I just looked it up:  these are the numbers for 90% cooked hamburger.  And water-rinsed 70% brings the hamburger total up to 51.5 grams per pound.  So my real totals are 4 g fiber / 22 g fat.
Well.  Homemade, low-cost, easy to fix, quick preparation, ingredients on hand.  

I friend of mine substitutes cooked lentils for cooked hamburger.  I could try substituting some, not all.  If it was already cooked and in the freezer, it wouldn't add to my cooking time.  Adding quartered onions like the Chinese restaurants do to their sweet and sour chicken might be O.K.

Anyways, he liked the taste and there we go.  This is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment